Understand the purpose of museum exhibits and identify some of the forms that exhibits use to present information.
Students will discuss museum exhibits based on their own experiences and understanding of them.
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- Class Time: 30 minutes
- Go over the museum discussion portion of the general pre-visit orientation activity.
- Engage the class in a discussion about museum exhibits:
- What is an exhibit?
- What is the purpose of an exhibit?
- What is one exhibit that you have seen?
- What kinds of exhibits have you seen? What forms have they taken? (i.e. objects- what kinds of objects?, paintings, sound- what kind of sounds?, text labels- what kind of texts?, sculptures, video, photographs, computer interactive, etc.)
- What kinds of objects can be in exhibits? Can there be more than one kind in the same exhibit?
Questions to ask:
- Explain to the class that you are going to visit a museum and will see exhibits. This may also be a good time to go over the rest of the pre-visit orientation activity.
- Class participation (listening and speaking)
NYS Learning Standards:
- ELA Standard 1