Understand the local community watershed.
Students will locate their local watershed on a NYS Map and research information using the online resources provided to answer questions.
- Access to the internet
- Copies of a NYS map with county outlines, 1 for each student or you may choose to make it a small group activity.
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Class Time: 30 minutes
- If this is a group activity, ask students to break into small groups of 2-3.
- Hand out the New York State maps, one to each student or group.
- Give the students the Science in your Watershed
- Ask students to find Hanford Mills Museum’s watershed (northern Delaware County) and to outline and label it on their NYS map.
- Ask students to find their community’s watershed using the website and to outline and label it on their NYS map.
- Ask students to explore the site to find answers to the following questions:
- Are Hanford Mills and your community located in the same watershed?
- Is your watershed as you expected it to be? Explain.
- Discuss your findings in class.
- Answers to questions
- Participation in class discussion (speaking and listening)
NYS Learning Standards:
- ELA Standard 1
- Social Studies Standard 3
- Math, Science, & Technology Standard 4
Vocabulary & Spelling Words
Watershed – n. the region or area drained by a river, stream, etc.; drainage area.