Mill Interpreters/Tour Guides (Part-time/Seasonal)
Hanford Mills Museum, East Meredith, NY
Brief Description: Hanford Mills Museum (HMM) operates an authentic water and steam-powered National Register-listed historic site in East Meredith, NY. Interpreters/Tour Guides support the Museum’s professional staff in the operation, interpretation, and preservation of the buildings and grounds. This part-time position reports to the Education and Curatorial Initiatives Manager and the Mill Operations Manager and may also extend into the school year to assist with school outreach programs.
- Conduct tours and assist with demonstrations
- Assist in the implementation of school programs, public programs, and other group visits
- Assist with preparing materials for mill-made products
- Assemble mill-made products
- Site Maintenance and Preservation
- Assist with projects as directed by supervisors
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
- Must be at least 18 or older as of date of hire
- Must be out-going, enthusiastic and have strong public engagement and speaking skills
- Ability to perform tasks that require moderate physical exertion, stand/walk for long periods on varying surfaces, inside and outside, and in a variety of conditions
- An interest in history and/or environmental science
- Woodworking and machinery skills or interest to learn
The open season is May 15 to October 15. Tour Guides/Interpreters must be available to work weekends and holidays. The Museum is open Wednesdays-Sundays and Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, and Columbus Day.
Hiring to begin April 1 on a rolling basis until filled.
Please fill out an application. You may also include a resumé in addition to the application.
Mail or Email applications to:
Beth Rafter, Finance & HR Manager
Hanford Mills Museum
P.O. Box 99
East Meredith, NY 13757