Brief Description: Hanford Mills Museum (HMM) operates an authentic water and steam-powered National Register-listed historic site in East Meredith, NY. The Museum seeks an intern to work closely with staff on a variety of key projects related to education programs and interpretation. Internship projects may be flexible depending on the intern’s interests and qualifications.
- Assist with developing and implementing special events and public programs
- Assist with site tours, interpretation, and visitor services activities; work with staff to evaluate site interpretation and develop recommendations for future interpretive changes and growth
- Assist with coordinating, implementing, and evaluating school programs and field trips
- Develop new event and exhibit-related programming and activities
- Complete research related to HMM and its future interpretive efforts
- Assist staff with other projects and operational activities
- Strong communication skills and an engaging public presence
- Enrolled in or recently completed bachelor’s or master’s degree program in museum studies, history, education, environmental studies or a related field
- Experience in interpretation, presenting public programs, interpretation and/or working with school groups
- Knowledge of basic interpretive practices
- Ability to perform tasks that require moderate physical exertion and to stand/walk for long periods on varying surfaces, inside and outside, and in a variety of conditions
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends, evenings, and holidays
Duration and Compensation: This paid summer internship will last 8 – 10 weeks. The work week will generally be Wednesdays-Sundays. Interns will work 40 hours per week amd be paid $12.50 – $14.00 per hour depending on education and qualifications.
To apply: Email a cover letter describing the fit between applicant’s professional experience and position responsibilities; resume; and contact information for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.