Ice Harvest Festival
10 am – 4 pm on Saturday, February 7, 2015
Take part in a traditional ice harvest as you walk out on the frozen mill pond to help cut and maneuver blocks of ice using historic tools. The ice will be transported by sled and then packed in the Museum’s traditional ice house. The Festival also includes:
- Horse-drawn sleigh rides
- Hot soup buffet with soups from favorite area restaurants
- Local farmers and vendors, including Promisedland Farm (hand-knit hats and mittens), Byebrook Farm (Gouda cheese), Ate.o.Ate Food Truck (lunch and snack items), Leroux & Co. (handmade soaps), Cooperstown Distillery (tastings).
- Ice Fishing Clinic led by volunteers from the Dave Brandt Chapter of Trout Unlimited
- Ice Sculpting by the SUNY Delhi Hospitality Center Ice Team
- Films showing ice harvests from the 1920s-1940s
- Traditional cooking demonstrations the John Hanford House (10 am – 2 pm)
- Blacksmithing at the Forge
- Snowman village and winter fun
- Tabletop games in the Hanford House (10 am – 4 pm)
- Ice House packing
- More activities will be added as they are confirmed
Ice harvests were once an essential part of winter in rural communities. Before there was refrigeration, ice was needed to preserve agricultural products and to keep food cold in the warmer months.
Children (12 and under) receive free admission. Museum members also receive free admission. (More information on admission and discounts)
- Did you know? The ice we harvest will be used to make ice cream at the Hanford Mills Museum Independence Day Celebration.
This video by Delaware County Tourism show highlights from the 2013 Ice Harvest. Editing by Jessica Vecchione, owner of Vecc Videography in Hamden.
Hot Soup Buffet
The Hot Soup Buffet is a favorite way for visitors to warm up during Ice Harvest. Soup is donated by area restaurants to benefit the Museum’s Educational Programs. Visitors can enjoy a selection of delicious soups made by:
- Alfresco’s Italian Bistro
- The Andes Hotel
- Arkville Bread & Breakfast
- The Autumn Cafe
- Boudreaux N Thibodeaux’s
- Brooks House of BBQ
- Cafe Ommegang
- Delhi Diner
- Fiesta Mexican Grill and Cantina
- Jackie’s Restaurant
- Jay’s Place
- Morey’s Family Restaurant
- Phoenicia Diner
- Red Caboose Restaurant & Bar
- Simply Thai
- Sloan’s New York Grill
- SUNY Delhi Culinary Arts – Signatures Restaurant
- Undercover Eggplant
- stay tuned, more to come…
- Don’t miss the delicious cookies from Junkyard Bakehaus!
Ice Harvest in the News
- The Wall Street Journal featured the Ice Harvest Festival in the December 13, 2014 article Snow Balls: Five Winter Festivals Worth the Trip.
- The Beekman Boys (Josh Kilmer-Purcell and Dr. Brent Ridge) came to the Ice Harvest in 2014, and wrote about it on their blog: A February Harvest
- Listen to Executive Director Liz Callahan’s 1/29/14 interview on WAMC’s The Roundtable.
- The 2013 Ice Harvest also was featured in the first episode of SUNY Oneonta’s Community Spotlight.
- Read about past Ice Harvests at Hanford Mills Museum, which have had more than 1,100 people attend, at All Over Albany, The Mountain Eagle, and The Daily Star.
“It’s such a slice of Americana. It’s why we love living up here. It’s a beautiful community event.”
-Teri Borst, who attended Ice Harvest in 2013