Brief Description: Hanford Mills Museum (HMM) operates an authentic water and steam-powered National Register-listed historic site in East Meredith, NY. The Museum seeks a summer Collections Assistant to work closely with staff on a variety of key collections projects. HMM is able to offer this position as part of a for-credit internship for students enrolled in relevant graduate or undergraduate programs.
Responsibilities: The Collections Assistant will assist the Collections Technician and other staff with a variety of projects related to HMM’s full-site inventory as well as collections management and care. Projects may include:
- Researching and reconciling undocumented objects
- Processing education collection objects, including assisting with deaccessioning objects from permanent to education collection
- Numbering and cataloging permanent collections objects
- Basic housekeeping and care of collections storage areas and objects
- Ability to perform tasks that require moderate physical exertion, stand/walk for long periods on varying surfaces, inside and outside, and in a variety of conditions
- Effective organization and time management skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Enrolled in or completed bachelor’s or master’s degree program in museum studies, history, education, environmental studies, or a related field
- Knowledge of basic collections care and management practices
- Experience with collections management software
Duration: This position duration is expected to last 12 weeks; the assistant will work 37.5 hours per week.
Hiring to begin on a rolling basis.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references to Kajsa Harley at email@example.com.